Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Success?

I love seeing what other artists are doing. In many ways, they are the inspiration for my own work. They keep me pushing my own boundaries, seeing the world in new ways. After all, isn't that the role of the artist?

Oh, and I don't just mean in chain-mail. I get inspired by looking at the paintings of the masters, the sculptures of the ancient civilizations, the jewelry and designs of traditional cultures all over the world. Every artist, and every civilization, has something to offer that is worthy and noble.

One of my favorite designs comes from the Massai tribe of Africa. It is a simple chest piece, and rather than making it out of beads, I use chain. Over the years it has been one of my most popular pieces. And you know what? I can not take any credit for it at all. It is not my design. All I've done is interpret it.

And I think that's what we all do, as artists. We look at the world around us, borrow what inspires us, re-interpret it, and then put it out there for others to see.

Sometimes, though, we have to copy. When I began making chain, I copied the European 4:1 pattern, the 6:1, 8:1, Byzantine, Oriental 4:1 and 6:1, the box weave, and the corduroy, the latter two being variations on the European 4:1. I looked through knitting books and was inspired to come up with many more weaves. I played around, ending up with the Persian and Mobius patterns. Many years later I saw the Helm and tried that, simply a 1:2 pattern with a floater surrounding the single link.

This is how art grows. This is how artists move.

In recent years, I've noticed an interesting thing. Many more people are trying their hand at copying the myriad weaves that are now out there. And this is good. I really encourage it.

But what I've noticed is this recurring question: "Did I do it right?" And I often wonder, is this the best question to ask?

We often tend to view the world in terms of "success" and "failure".

These up and coming artists often post a picture of something with a name attached to it and ask that question: "Did I do it right?" If you're attached to the name, and trying to reproduce that exact weave as is, then maybe not. But if you drop the name and look at the beauty of what you have created, then yes, you've done well.

If we see it in terms of success or failure, right or wrong, then we run the risk of tossing what is wrong. We may fall into the trap of seeing ourselves as a failure. Too many times, in various fields, I have seen people who are struggling at something give up because they don't realize what they are learning; they only see where they are failing.

Too often in my own work I have not been able to get what I set out to make, but you know what? I looked at what I did make and said, "That's beautiful."

I don't look at this as success or failure. Those terms are too stark for my liking. Instead I think about it all in terms of crisis and victory.

And this works really well not just in my art, but in all areas of my life. In fact, I believe that this is how life works, how history works. For every crisis we face, there is a victory waiting in the wings, if we only allow ourselves to see it. And for every victory we achieve, the seeds of the next crisis are latent within. It is like a continual sine wave that is always moving us forward.

A few years back I was selling in a local market. It was quite enjoyable, not too much stress, a pleasant pace, fun clientele. But one day the live band that was playing was just a bit too loud. Well, that's putting it nicely. They were so loud that I couldn't hear my customers from across the table. Nobody could sell anything because we couldn't hear anyone. When the band paused between songs, a couple of the other merchants asked if I could ask them to turn it down a bit. I'm usually fairly nice about these sorts of things, and went up to explain the problem and ask. Well, the band, after having already asked if the volume was ok, told me to talk to the manager. Evidently when they asked, they weren't really looking for an answer. So I went to the manager of the show, and she said, "If you don't like it, you can pack." Well, I was not impressed. I told her, in not the politest of terms, that I thought her priorities were messed up.

And I went back to my booth and packed.

In the middle of the show.

Took my tent down and everything.

Now, those of you who do shows know that this is a big no-no. Even if you sell out, you're supposed to wait until the show is over before packing up. My neighbours were shocked. They couldn't believe what I was doing. When they shouted at me to find out what happened, for the music was still just as loud as ever, I said that I was told to pack if I didn't like it. So I was packing.

Now, in my terminology, this was a crisis. All of a sudden half my income was gone. Did I fail at my work? I could have seen it that way. I could have given it all up right then.

Instead, I saw it as a crisis. Where was the victory going to come from? I had a free slot in my schedule. Of course, it was the middle of the season, and finding a good show in the middle of the summer is not all that easy. But I decided to try.

I looked around and found a show that met my expectations, and sent off a letter. The manager responded fairly quickly, and said that her show was full, but if I submitted my pictures, she'd put me on the waiting list.

Pictures were sent and she phoned me within a few hours asking if could set up in 2 days, on Thursday. I was in.

And that's the show I do today. I lost one show, for one day every other week, and picked up another show for four days a week.

That was the victory.

And the next crisis? Remember, I said that every victory has the seeds of the next crisis latent within? I can't keep up. I sell faster than I can make the stuff. It's a good position to be in, but it is tough, too. I mean, it's not just about the money for me. I feel bad when someone wants a piece and I just can't make it in a good amount of time.

But this is a crisis I can live with. Besides, it's meant that I've been able to help some others by having their work at my booth, too. That is its own crisis and victory.

So the next time you face a problem, or can't figure out a weave, don't see it as a failure or a disaster. See it as a crisis. Look for the victory. I'm sure you'll find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment